Surprise gifts are always a thrill for me to create. Nicole, the sister of the bride asked me create a wedding dress/love story painting for her sister Katie. Nicole, who was flying in to California from Chicago for the wedding at the St. Regis Monarch Beach , couldn’t wait to surprise her the day before at lunch with their immediate family.
Both Nicole and Katie had a shared love of artwork. Nicole mentioned that Katie is in the ‘wedding biz,’ had her eye on my work for some time and emailed her just to show her something she never realized she could have and loved the idea. Needless to say, Nicole contacted me and we were on our way to create Katie’s surprise gift.
What I’m especially excited about with Katie’s artwork is using actual paper and materials that Nicole collected and sent me, making the piece that much more meaningful –
– Striking purple and creams color palette of the wedding
– The actual paper, lace and burlap from the couple’s save the date card and wedding invitation
– The ‘chandelier’ pattern from the wedding invitation
– Actual peacock feathers subtly in the background (Katie loves peacocks and grew up near where they are wild)
– 32 textured layers, 14″x14″ mixed-media on canvas with acrylics
Which textured memories do you treasure?